Thursday, February 4, 2010

Ouch! Waxing at Home to Remove Unwanted Hair


Waxing to remove unwanted hair has been tried by many women in the privacy of their home. Waxing involves spreading a very thin layer of a wax mixture over the skin. A thin cloth or paper strip is then pressed to the warm wax. With a quick motion, the strip is pulled back (against the direction of the hair growth) taking hair and dead skin cells with it. It sounds easy enough, don't you agree?

Any part of the body can be waxed, although removing unwanted hair from the legs, bikini area, arm, lips, eyebrows, and under the arms is most common.

I had seen waxing done on TV many times and it seemed easy enough. I went shopping, bought my little wax kit and followed the directions, but apparently I missed SOMETHING!

I heated the wax; tested it so it wouldn’t burn my skin; put it on my skin with the little popsicle stick, put the paper strip on the warm wax, rubbed the paper … all was going well up to this point. Then, I began to get a lesson on why you hire professionals to remove unwanted hair with wax.

Holding my arm straight up in the air, I grabbed the strip at the top. The directions said to pull away the paper very quickly and in the opposite direction of the hair’s natural growth pattern. I don’t remember much of the next few seconds, except I was no longer standing or feeling confident in myself. Instead, I was sitting on the toilet seat, holding my arm close to my side, and trying to figure out how to get the remaining 90% of the strip off my underarm.

I thought about my readers. Before posting beauty tips on my website and blog, I like to test them out. I thought that I just would not write about my experience with waxing. Then I thought that maybe someone else might leave me a comment and tell me what I did wrong.

Back to the strip… Now I had 90% of the strip to remove and pulling it slowly only made the pain more unbearable. I’m a grown woman, so I womaned-up, put my arm back up in the air and yanked the strip off. I don’t remember labor pains hurting that much.

This waxing session with myself wasn’t over yet. Now I had little brown balls of wax clinging to my underarm – it wasn’t pretty. Removing each one was not easy, and shaving them off wasn’t either. Needless to say, this was my last wax job at home.

My recommendation to waxing at home to remove unwanted hair is think about it twice, then make an appointment with a licensed cosmetologist or esthetician that specializes in body waxing.

No comments: