Sometimes, it is necessary to get back to the basics for our best beauty results. With all the products and advice for hair, let us take a step back and start with a good foundation.
1. Washing hair too frequently can be damaging. Instead of washing daily, skip a day or two between shampoos to allow the hair's natural oils to penetrate the individual strands.
2. Before washing your hair, be sure it is free of tangles. Wet, tangled hair breaks easily.
3. Use a natural bristled hair brush (dry hair only) for gentle brushing. Starting at the root end, work your brush down to the ends. This helps distribute the natural oils for silky soft and shiny hair. If you have heard "100 brushes before bed", this is where it comes from.
4. Choose a shampoo with a neutral PH balance. Work the shampoo from the scalp to the ends to clean. Rinse all traces of shampoo.
5. When shampooing, massage the scalp with your fingers instead of your fingernails. Fingernails can damage the scalp, causing sores and itchy skin.
6. Increase the scalps blood flow by massaging the scalp when washing your hair; increased blood flow results in healthier hair.
7. Use a good quality hair conditioner to prevent tangles which can lead to split ends and damaged hair. Conditioner also protects and nourishes hair.
8. After cleaning your hair, gently squeeze excess water from the hair – do not twist the hair; twisting wet hair can be damaging. When you have removed the excess water, gently blot your hair dry with a clean, dry towel.
9. When combing wet hair, use a wide tooth comb. Do not pull or tug on tangles. If you do encounter tangles, gently remove them with your fingers instead of the comb. Wet hair damages easily; roughly removing tangles is a leading cause of hair damage. Damaged hair frizzes and looks unhealthy.
10. Using the lowest heat setting on your hair dryer is the next best thing to allowing your hair to dry naturally. Keep the dryer moving to avoid burning your hair and skin.
11. When using heated styling tools, such as curling wands, first protect your hair with a light coat of silicone-based cream. Be careful and do not allow the heated tool to remain in one place long or you could burn or damage the hair.
12. Avoid over-using hair spray, gels and other styling products on the hair. Residue from these products can make the hair appear dull and unhealthy looking.
The bottom line is that abuse can lead to problem hair or even hair loss. Treat your hair with tender loving care and it will reward you with a vibrant, luxuriant look for many years to come.